2013 was not that bad. So was 2012, but I think every year just keeps getting better and better.
A few years ago, I used think it was hard for me to fit in anywhere because of how my interests were different from the people I see. It took me a while to figure out that that’s how I am, and no one really gives a fuck because this world needs at least 1 Toan Bui.
I have so much more confidence and optimism in everything I do now that I’m afraid I’ll bite off more than I can chew. I stupidly feel invincible.
Here are some things I’ve come to realize:
1. Money buys happiness. Duh, what matters is how you spend it. I have bought a lot of crap for myself that I rarely even touch now. The things I’ve bought made me happy, but it was unquestionably temporary. Now, spending your money elsewhere, like say, spotting a meal for a hungry friend, now that gives you a lot of things. Company, talks, memories. I think that is what is most important. Don’t be stingy. Don’t expect people to pay you back. Just basque in the good karma.
2. Brush it off. Shit happens. So don’t just lie around in the shit dude. This is probably the thing that helped me out the most. The less you worry, the less you stress out, the less time you spend dwelling on how bad of a situation you’re in, the better you will be. Easy to say because everyone handles things differently. There have been a lot of dream crushing, heart breaking moments for me this past year, but none of them seem to stand out as being an absolute soul-trampler. Boy they could have been. Brushing them off as little obstacles allowed me to enjoy the good times I’ve had without being interrupted by the haunting thoughts I could have had. Looking back I don’t even think I’ve had a particularly bad day in 2013. Just minor setbacks and petty hinderances. OH, and the less you stress out about shit, THE BETTER YOUR SKIN WILL BE. TRUST ME! Being happy makes you beautiful.
3. Meet as many people as you can. Be the first to introduce yourself. Yeah, you’ll forget their names. It’s serendipity, and a handshake is the first step. Network, make new friends from different places, even if it’s just small talk. I wasn’t much of a chatter nor could I carry on an interesting conversation, but the more people I met, the more comfortable I became with people in general. Growing up, I was taught that the world is a dangerous and malicious place. That’s a load of bullshit lol. Give people the benefit of the doubt and trust them. If they break that trust, then yeah, they’re assholes. But 97% of the people I have met this past year have been a delight. Those who think the whole world is judging you or out to get you, grow the fuck up. Seriously lol.
4. Don’t be afraid to flaunt your happiness. If you’re excited, you fucking dance! If your life is blissful, fucking shout! I see a lot of good happen to people, but rarely ever see any satisfaction. Good that you have high standards when it comes to your happiness. That will only bring better things to you, but damn, you’ve got to celebrate the good times… lmao. If you find a $5 bill on the floor, don’t just be like “fuck yeah ya nigga just came up $5,” and walk off cmon man! Be able to recognize and be happy for the little things that come your way on a daily basis. It will change you.
5. Go unnoticed. Try to good deeds and good things for people without people knowing. I know a lot of people make fun of others who brag about how they just did this for that person/stranger. You don’t want to be that person. Trust. Don’t plea for recognition, be recognized. The world of the day is humility. We don’t see a lot of it.. and that’s because good people don’t go around telling everyone they’re generous or thoughtful. If you could easily do something that would make another person’s life a little better, I shouldn’t have to say.. just do it. Like picking up your trash when you see someone walking around picking up other people’s trash. It’s not that hard.
On a side note, I’m really happy that I moved out before the end (like hours) of 2013. It’s a good, new air. But I’m moving out from my new place to another at the end of the month… LOL. For the better! 2014 has been good to me so far, even though it’s only been 9 days. It’s gonna be good. I CAN FEEL IT